Sunday, May 11, 2008

Rooms in Speak

The appearance of certain rooms is of particular importance in Speak. The first room Anderson describes is Melinda’s art classroom. I find it striking that Anderson writes that the entire high school does not receive much light, yet the art room is the most illuminated: “The sun doesn’t shine much in Syracuse, so the art room is designed to get every bit of light it can” (10). Symbolically, the extra light reflects the hope Melinda finds in art. Her art work is the only way she can truly express herself. Anderson also alludes to the salvation Melinda finds in the room by claiming that the room contains a radio that is set to a station Melinda enjoys: “A radio plays my favorite station” (10). As Melinda’s situation worsens thought-out the book, ironically, the art room becomes more beautiful, and Melinda’s art work becomes more expressive: “ Our art room is blooming like a museum full of O’Keeffe’s, van Gogh’s, and that French guy who painted flowers with tiny dots”(77).
Melinda’s strife at home is conveyed through the appearance of her bed room. He room does not reflect her taste, and she does not find comfort in it: “My room belongs to an alien. It is a postcard of who I was in fifth grade” (15). Most people decorate their rooms to reflect themselves. For instance, I believe my room, to some extent, is an extension of myself. It is sad that Melinda can not find peace in the only place that is supposed to be hers. Instead, Melinda finds an empty janitor’s closet to act as her sanctuary. She describes it as dirty and empty, which meteorically represents the distaste Melinda has for her own life: “This closet is abandoned-- it has no purpose, no name. It is the perfect place for me” (26). Throughout the book, Melinda feels more at home in the closet. She even displays her art work in there. She even goes there to think: “The best place to figure this out is my closet, my throne room, and my foster home. The closet becomes the only space Melinda finds comfort in.

No comments: