Thursday, May 1, 2008

Some After Class Thoughts

Before class I was sitting in front of the computer and I jsut could not figure out what to write about for this book. I had just read it but there was really nothing specific going on in my mind. There was just so much to think about but no direction to start on. But after talking about it in the classroom I started thinking about so many things and I jut had to run to a computer and type it all out before I forgot.
Firstly, our conversation reminded me about this conversation I had with a Psychology major the other day about teasing. She had a very interesting point of view about teasing, bullies, and revenge. At first glance, a person who is teased will hate and fear the bully. It's a natural instinct for people who get hurt by somebody to stay away from the person they get hurt by. That person might be so hurt and angry that he or she will lash out at somebody. He will want revenge for the hurt that he has been feeling. Of course that is a natural feeling. That person might think, it is the bully's fault that I hate my life and myself and that I hate being somewhere because that bully makes me miserable, and so it is alright for me to get back at that person. However, if you look at the situation from an objective, outside point of view, and or a second take out the "fault" part of it, then all that is left is an action and a consequence. The action causes the consequence and if a person jsut takes that action and consequence into himself and analyzes it then he can always learn from it. It doesn't matter what it is. Instead of just acting on a bully in an angry manner maybe the person being hurt can stand back for a second and think about what is really going on. Why is the bully teasing me? What is wrong with myself, with the way that I think of myself, that makes this is hurtful to me? If people just look at the situation and think, really contemplate, what is going on, instead of just blindly acting on their feelings, then maybe situations would turn out better.
What I mean in the context of the story is that Jin was always being made fun of by his classmates. That obviously really hurt his image and his pride and made him ashamed of who he is. He took that anger out on his best friend and his best friend's girlfriend, even though they were the only ones who supported him. That reaction, that instinct, ended up indirectly ruining Win Shun's life. If he did not do that then maybe Win Shun would not have turned towards that lustful, sinful life.

4 comments:

rnatov said...

Juliana, that is so interesting and important. Of course, it is hard for the hurt person to do that at the moment; however, you are right. Jin acts out on the only kind and supportive peers and his actions, as you say, have consequences--of which I am sure Gene Yang is aware.

kalese said...

American Born Chinese forces you to take notice of the control the outside world has on many of us. In a world where everyone is so photo happy and interested in every minor detail of other people's lives, it's hard not to become so judgmental of yourself and others. For some it becomes impossible to live with the flaws we all have and suddenly we're all too tall, short, fat, beautiful and intelligent for our own good.

What really stood out for me is how easily we relinquish our power to the outside world. When I say outside world, I mean people who's opinions grow to mean more than your own, or the American culture, which can sometimes be toxic. For the Monkey King, he relinquished his power and deity because he allowed himself to be ostracized for being who he is -- a monkey. Suddenly, being just a monkey wasn't good enough and his only defense was to become something(one) else.

Jin Yee took on blond haired, hazel eyed qualities of Danny because with all the ridicule he sustained in school, he actually believed Danny was a better person than Jin Yee. He goes through life "believing" the outside world had a better clue as to who he was than he does. Why do we give people the power to put us in bondage?

The Monk puts a "mirror" in the Monkey's face when he confronts him. For 500 years Monkey King convinces himself that rocks have been holding him down. He asks, "are you too blind to see the mountain of rock that holds me to my place you imbecile?" (144) All along his freedom lies within him. It was not the rock that kept him in bondage, it was him. Once he could accept that he was just a monkey and become just a monkey, he became free and appreciative of who he is.

The power to be tall, short, fat, beautiful and intelligent lies within you. You should revel in who you were, who you are, or who you aspire to be. The key to freedom from bondage of the outside world lies within you, not others. You should open the door to discover the you that has always been there. You may actually grow to like/love yourself.

Mari Deykute said...

Hm. I think it's an interesting take on the issue - although following the same logic, if Win Shun used the same objective perspective his life would not have been 'ruined' by somebody else's actions. Thus you can hardly blaim Jin for what happened to Win Shun, it was Win Shun's choice to react in this manner. Ultimately, I think a large part of this book is about taking responsibility for who you are , and for your own actions.

Unknown said...

I agree with all of you. I love that you could expand on my idea in so many directions. It really gives one something to think about!