Monday, March 24, 2008

Edward Tulane: poor Bryce

As usual, I was struck by how universal hope is. I don’t know how much of this is due to the Obama posters declaring ‘HOPE,’ but that was what leapt off the page. When the china doll in the baby bonnet tells him that “You must be awash in hope,” Edward responds, “I am done with being loved… It’s too painful.” (189) Sounding like a jilted lover, Edward has given up on hope altogether. I confess that I wish Bryce had come to take him back at the end of his ‘miraculous’ journey. There is something to be said that that little boy, later as a young man, deserves the china rabbit just as much, if not more than privileged Abilene. Though all that matters to Edward is love and where he received it first and most ardently, it was the wish of this reader to see him in more deserving hands. Did anyone else feel this way?

4 comments:

Boylan Blog said...

An interesting point. He certainly is in need and without support.

Boylan Blog said...

I don't know why this blog sees me as boylan, but ok, I'm boylan. Roni Natov

talal. said...

A valid point of view. To be completely honest, I was waiting for Bryce to lose Edward and was ardently hoping for Abilene to make a comeback.

EmilyCarman said...

I wanted Bryce to end up owning Edward as well. It was really sad that Lucius let Bryce look at Edward one last time, but then told him never return to the shop.