Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Lyra's Relationships

Growing up, fantasy, mystery, and fiction books were my favorite to read, so it was no wonder I loved Philip Pullman's works from my junior high school years. When I came across the "His Dark Materials" trilogy, I felt like I had discovered the hidden gold mine in my imagination. The characters, the descriptions, and the conflicts presented in "The Golden Compass," "The Subtle Knife," and "The Amber Spyglass" were both relatable and yet, unimaginable in its presentation at the same time.

As everyone else has already commented, the concept of the daemons and their significance to each human life in the book was something I was struck by when I first read the book years ago. I distinctly remember being jealous of Lyra, wishing I had one of my own-my personal friend and confidante to play with all day long. (Being a total zoophobic person at that time, I have to say the books truly gave me some insight to understanding the relationship pet owners have with their beloved ones).

However, the most interesting part of "The Golden Compass" was not just Lyra's fascinating journey and her heroic quest, but her relationships between kids of her own age, her elders, her uncle, and her "lack of" parents. Brought up under the loose supervision of the Jordan College scholars, acting as a tomboy, and possessing the qualities of a leader and a hero, it was Lyra's motives I always questioned. The absence of her parents was something I picked up on at the beginning, and the way Pullman addresses it (if I remember correctly) at the end of the book is an intriguing aspect of the story.

No comments: