Saturday, February 23, 2008

What I Would Fight For

The question, though not a strange one, is a tough one for me to answer. I'd like to think I'm brave enough to fight for a lot of things - something I believe in, my country, my family, my friends - but I'm not quite sure if it's just talk or if it's something I could really do.

Although I'd like to say otherwise, I think I could only really fight for my friends or family. My sister, especially, is someone I would kill for, as she means the world to me. The country, unfortunately, does not get my devotion in that sense. After years of not being able to support what this country has done, I see no reason for me to fight it.

Emily brought up the concept of Hitler... I don't want to be shunned for this, but I don't think I would fight a tyrant either. I may think what s/he has done is wrong, and I may condemn him/her for it, but I'm not the sort of person to put my life on the line defending it. I don't believe in war or fighting in general (my ideal Iraqi War would've been Bush and Saddam having a duel or playing "Rock, Paper, Scissors").

Thus, for me, what I would fight for are those close to me; although I may be a coward on the international battlefield, I'm not that bad when it comes to those around me.

No comments: