Tuesday, April 8, 2008

History in "Tibet through the Red Box"

I think that one of big challenges in writing books for children that have to do with real events and real history (especially of faraway, half-known places like Tibet and China) is to avoid overburdening them with facts that they 'must' know. I think this book does a wonderful job of giving just enough information to get the reader to ask questions, but not enough to get them to lose the sense of the characters and the miracles and the journey. I think the little historical 'side-notes' that Sis includes in the book are wonderfully concise - after all, this is not a history book, this is a book about a son and a father and a journey, but the son, the father and the journey ultimately were the product of history. China moving into Tibet, the Dalai Lama, even the little facts about how mail was delivered in Tibet during that time - I think all of these facts really add to the book without overburdening it. I, personally, might've wanted more history from the book, but it may be in part because I've gotten lazier about asking questions and want the answers to be right where I want them. I think this book makes history alive, and this is ultimately what any good book dealing with a subject should do.

No comments: