Monday, April 7, 2008

Tibet through the Red Box as an autobiography

When I was about ten years old, I discovered a picture of my mother that was taken by my father on their first date. Upon discovering this photograph, I began to realize that there was so much that I didn't know about my parents, and so much that I would never know. This memory reminds me of Sis' work. In Tibet Through the Red Box, Sis tries to discover who his father is by looking at the journals, keepsakes, and drawings from his father's past. The autobiography in this story relates to Sis trying to understand who is father is. By learning more about his father, he also gains knowledge about himself. You get the impression that Sis resented his father because he didn't understand his father's absence or what he had experienced during his absence. Exploring the red box allows Sis to connect with his father and get a better understanding of who he is. Piecing together moments from his father's life allows Sis to put his own past behind him and finally forgive his father for not being there. The incomplete plot suggests that Sis cannot get the entire story, because no one can fully understand another person's experience. However, he gets enough of his father's story to be at peace with himself. He also recognizes that he doesn't have a complete story, and he's fine with that.

No comments: