Sunday, April 6, 2008

Significance of the quote at the end of Tibet Through the Red Box

I think the quote at the end of the book truly represents the themes of uncertainty. Even though I have never read Nabokov's The Gift, the quote conveys the idea that one tends to fear the unknown. Just as the pilgrims were afraid of the foreign sounds they heard, we learn, through the father's entries, that Tibet is a beautiful place. However, I am not sure if anyone else felt this way, I'm not sure ho many of the father's stories I really believe. It could be that he wanted his son to have peace of mind by reading that his father encountered such adventures and beauty. I think it also suggests that we do not appreciate more than half of the wonders of the world we encounter. Any other thoughts?

No comments: