Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Sélavi: A Haitian Story of Hope - Rxn

While I enjoyed reading Sélavi: A Haitian Story of Hope, what struck me was the two page spread dedicated to the different children and their individual stories. Some of the stories were tragic and some were circumstantial. Overall, the stories made me consider the millions of untold stories of the poor children all across the globe. I was happy that at least this book gave them a voice.

Another part that caught my attention was,

"For a large number of them this better life never comes. Like their lost loved ones, some become crime victims. Others fall into crime themselves and are arrested and put in jail. However, some children do find hope."

This quote made me consider how the morals and ethics of children are challenged by the extreme conditions of poverty. I imagine even a well-to-do brought up child would resort to unlawful activities once placed under extreme conditions. I appreciate this quote because it describes the correlation between poverty and crime.

No comments: