Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Shrek...scary!

John and I volunteered to read the children's story Shrek by William Steig. I must say--I was appalled! I don't know what I thought, but with every page I think my jaw dropped more and more! Now I know that everyone here hates Disney...but I'm sorry--I still love it! And I can’t believe just how different this one from the Shrek I know and love. It was so vulgar and mean that I just couldn’t believe it was a children’s book. Throughout the story, Shrek is killing people and animals, eating lightning bolts, and laughing about scaring everyone. He is so vicious and horrible to everyone, and actually likes being this way! The donkey in the story is nothing like the lovable Donkey in the Disney movie; he basically just tells Shrek where the ugly princess is that is he to rescue and marry. That’s another thing! When he gets to the princess, he kills the knight guarding her! And when he finally meets her, this is what they say to each other…it's not nice, so don't get excited! Said Shrek:

Oh, ghastly you, With lips of blue,
Your ruddy eyes With carmine sties
Enchant me.
I could go on, I know you know.
The reason why I love you so—
You’re ugh-ly!

Said the Princess:
Your nose is so hairy,
Oh, let us not tarry,
Your look is so scary,
I think we should marry. That is terrible! I was very upset reading this. I do not recommend it if you love Shrek and wish to keep it dear in your heart.

3 comments:

John said...

YEA!! WOO

Inni said...

I admire your outrage but I loved the book. I thought it was so childishly rebellious, in that the main character was mean and ugly and rude and all of those things that children are told not to be. And therein lies the appeal for kids, they like seeing heroes that aren't always dashing and brave. I guess one Shrek here and there isnt so bad at the end of the day.

rnatov said...

I think Inni hit it. It allows children to feel what they feel and to enjoy it--all done with humor but not cruelty. Roni Natov